Thursday, February 4, 2016

4 Natural Aids for Coughs

We've all had it.  That nagging cough that goes along with a cold or flu.  Here are four natural aids I have used in the past to help with a cough that won't go away.



Just for the record, I am not a doctor, nor a medical practitioner, and this is not medical advice.  It is always best to check with your doctor before using any type of help, especially if you have a medical condition.

1.  Peppermint candy, lemon juice and honey.

Melt the peppermint candy in some warm water, add lemon juice and honey to taste.  The peppermint can sooth a sore throat, and the lemon helps to cut phlegm.

2.  Horehound candy.

Horehound is an herb that is indigenous to Britian. Horehound acts as an expectorant.  Some people don't like the taste, but I've been using it since I was a child and it always helps me.

3.  Lemon juice. Cayenne and honey. 

Just a pinch of cayenne.  The cayenne helps to sooth the throat, although if you use too much it is going to burn, so just a pinch does the trick.  It can also help to clear nasal passages. The honey helps to coat the throat, lemon juice cuts phlegm and has Vitamin C.  I've used this as an adult, the cayenne does sting, especially if you have a sore throat to begin with, so I would not ever use this on my grandchildren.

4.  Lemon juice and honey. 


Just these two ingredients help to sooth a cough.  They have been used together for many centuries.  I use a tsp. every three to four hours.  





These are my four favorite old fashioned aids for a cough.  I'm sure there are many others out there, that our grandmothers and mothers used for us.  As I said before, please do not use any of these without checking with your doctor first.  


Until next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment