Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Learning to Fix a Drip on the Faucet



"First you want to look carefully at the cartridge to see if there are any notches or anything to tell you which way it goes so you put it back in the right place."  Uh...yeah!  That's what I thought too when I watched the You-Tube video on how to fix a dripping faucet.  Then I sucked it up and got on with it.




The faucet had leaked since before Tom died.  It was just one of those things he put off until he had some time to get to it, and other things came first.  So, after he was gone, I stood in that bathroom one day and thought, "I wonder how much that is costing me in water?"  Funny how often those types of thoughts go through my head now that I'm on one fixed income.

So, I set my mind to fixing that darned leaky faucet - it was either me, or it - my house wasn't big enough for the both of us!

1. First I had to find the tools.  


That was an adventure all in itself.  If you had ever seen my husband's garage you would know immediately the scope of the problem.  After searching for a day (you think I'm exaggerating, but I'm not), I found what I needed (it was at that point, I decided I HAD to organize - which will show up in another post later).

2.  I had to get supplies.


I then went to the hardware store and found the parts to replace those on my faucet all by myself.  On my way out of the store I'm sure there were people wondering about that crazy lady patting herself (literally) on the back!

3.  I had to do the work.


I got home, turned off the water under the sink and started disassembling.  It was much easier than I thought.  I put everything back together, turned the water on and VIOLA!!!!  My very own indoor fountain!  Four foot high and as pretty as any you find in a well manicured French country garden!




After thirty minutes of getting the water turned off, cleaning and mopping up, I tried to fix that faucet again.  I read the instructions thoroughly this time before I touched it, and found where I had made a mistake.  I was sure this time I could fix it.

I even went to the computer and watched those You-Tube videos again.  Back I went to the sink to tame this monster!  When I got everything put together and turned the water on, I found to my elation that I not only didn't have a fountain, but the hot water turned off and on, and more importantly, NO DRIP!

Hallelujah!

I was on my way to being a full fledged independent Grandma!

Next time your faucet drips, make sure you gather your tools, get supplies and follow the instructions.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment